Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Elf On The Shelf




I just got wind of this adorable idea from Renee who flew South and stayed there about 6 years ago. Evidently, this is a very popular thing to do down there.
A little elf arrived at our house one week ago. He was secured to our living room valance with a letter tied around him that read:


Dear Christian, Kika and Tula,


I am leaving with you one of my very special elves. He will stay at your house to watch to make sure you are all being good before I come visit you on Christmas Eve.

I will warn you that sometimes my elves are naughty when they are away from the workshop up at the North Pole.
You are NOT to touch the elf, only talk to him.
I will pick him up on Christmas Eve, so please take care of him while he is with you.
See You Soon,
Santa Claus


The kids have been having a blast looking to see what the elf did last night while they were asleep. The first night our little elf teepee'd our living room (fun times!). He was hanging upside down in the Christmas tree the other night and had left the kids a treat near where he was positioned. He is always in a different spot each day, sometimes he brings treats, sometimes he leaves a mess!! The hardest thing about this elf on the shelf idea was actually finding an elf around here. I went to Hallmark, Joanne Fabrics, KMart, Big Lots, Wal-Mart and the Dollar General, all fruitless efforts. Finally on a last pathetic whim, I walked through the Christmas aisle at Lowe's where one of the little Misfits from Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer hung on one of the shelving units all by his lonesome. He'd have to do for now. If you'd like to adopt this idea, I'll save you some legwork - you can purchase an Elf on the Shelf kit online, or I saw on their website that Mulberry Lane has them as well.

Initially, I loved this idea, but was feeling a little bad that there was nothing about this clever elf and his harmless tricks that had to do with the true meaning of Christmas. Then it occurred to me that I was after all in charge, and I could control what the elf did. So, tonight, when all kids are fast asleep, our elf is going to leave a note about Jesus (using an upside down candy cane to make a "J") and how He was the ultimate gift onto us. I'm going to prominently display the manger with the elf and the note alongside to make sure the focus is where it belongs! Ah-ha!







1 comment:

Jenny said...

So cute! Isn't it funny as parents we do often forget we are the ones in charge of what these traditions mean to our children? (I know I do sometimes!) Good for you for remembering and making it something meaningful:-)